Re: hooks for supporting third party blobs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: hooks for supporting third party blobs?
Date
List pgsql-general
Eric Davies <Eric@barrodale.com> writes:
> A recent project of ours involved storing/fetching some reasonably large
> datasets in a home-brew datatype.  The datasets tended to range from a few
> megabytes, to several gigabytes. We were seeing some nonlinear slowness
> with using native large objects with larger datasets, presumably due to the
> increasing depth of the btree index used to track all the little pieces of
> the blobs.

Did you do any profiling to back up that "presumably"?  It seems at
least as likely to me that this was caused by some easily-fixed
inefficiency somewhere.  There are still a lot of O(N^2) algorithms
in the backend that no one has run up against yet ...

            regards, tom lane