Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From B. van Ouwerkerk
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 20:00 30-12-2003 +0700, Chris Travers wrote:
>Personally I think that the docs are great (especially so with 7.4).  Of
>course they are aimed at experienced admins, so it is easier to find things
>if you have a basic understanding of the RDBMS to start with.  Of course
>things can always be improved, but I am opposed to adding cruft to the core
>documentation.  Let's keep these things friendly towards experienced users
>so that we can WORK efficiently.

IMO you can have both. How much would it hurt if there was a bit more
information? Or a link to a related topic (as someone else suggested before).

If I think about using a certain PHP function I might want to double check
on the exact syntax or to look at the minimum version required. So I go to
the PHP.net website and quickly look at it.. but a newcomer might spend
quite some time on the same page..
The same could become true for the PostgreSQL docs I gues. Meaning I will
read a bit longer on the same page then you. But only until I have
assimilated the information..

All I would ask is a bit more information in the docs then found at
present, add information where it currently stops without talking to much :-)

I'm quite sure there are enough knowledgeable persons around to fill in the
gaps found at present. But perhaps the interactive version of the docs
might serve a great perpose here.

B.