Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "B. van Ouwerkerk" <bvo@atz.nl>:
> I still don't find it. I know you can do a varchar(255) but what is the
> maximum PG will allow? Is there a maximum?
> In short, how much can I put into the field before it breaks.

It is not in the manual because in this case it probably doesn't matter.
Check the FAQ.  I believe that the maximum in a field in around 1GB.  More
text than I have to store ;-)  This is more of a backend-related issue, and
perhaps the limits could be handled in the introduction of the datatypes
section.

> I know a fair bit of SQL, just wanne know more about PG. Next year I will
> start shopping at the nearest bookstore to see what they have on PG..
> Hopefully there is a book that compares to the book MySQL but then for
PG..

Look for Bruce's book.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers