Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 09:23:21AM -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> El Mar 30 Dic 2003 02:49, Bret Busby escribió:

> > And, if a person did not already have it installed and set up, would the
> > person then have not been required to find elsewhere, how to do those?
>
> The question then is: "How difficult is it for a newbie to get PostgreSQL
> started on a RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Mandrake,... Linux?"

It may be very simple for you and me, but remember that nowadays the
Linux distros come with "ident sameuser" authentication preconfigured.
Someone, somewhere, has to tell them to create a database for themselves
and how to do that, and that they need to use the postgres user to do
it.  It's not rocket science, but for a true newbie it's impossible
(those guys rarely read manuals, remember).

Oh, oh, las chicas galacianas, lo harán por las perlas,
¡Y las de Arrakis por el agua! Pero si buscas damas
Que se consuman como llamas, ¡Prueba una hija de Caladan! (Gurney Halleck)