Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/18/2017 06:16 AM, Martin Mueller wrote:
> Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud? Good question, but it's a question of money and performance. I
usedMySQL for many years and then moved a dataset to an instance on AWS. The performance was horribly slow. Then some
kindsoul at my institution hooked me up with "Aurora," which I take to be MySQL on steroids. That was great, and the
performancewas almost as good as on my desktopc. But it cost hundreds of dollars per month. I work at home with a
machinethat has 32 GB of memory. In order to get comparable performance from a cloud-based Postgres instance, I'd have
tospend a lot of money that I don't have. Dropbox costs $120 a year for a terabyte of storage, which is very
affordable.

If it where me I would pick up 1TB external hard drive then:

1) On your Mac(Location 1) stop Postgres and then back up/sync your base
directory to the external harddrive.

2) Take the external hard drive to Location 2.

3) Stop Postgres at Location 2 and then sync to base directory there.

4) Start Postgres at location 2.

5) Repeat for going other direction.

It is similar to using Dropbox, with the difference being you do not
have Dropbox trying to sync while you are using the database. That I am
pretty sure will not end well. The above does depend on familiarity with
programs like rsync or Unison for the syncing portion.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com