Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Mueller
Subject Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
Date
Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-general
Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud? Good question, but it's a question of money and performance. I
usedMySQL for many years and then moved a dataset to an instance on AWS. The performance was horribly slow. Then some
kindsoul at my institution hooked me up with "Aurora," which I take to be MySQL on steroids. That was great, and the
performancewas almost as good as on my desktopc. But it cost hundreds of dollars per month. I work at home with a
machinethat has 32 GB of memory. In order to get comparable performance from a cloud-based Postgres instance, I'd have
tospend a lot of money that I don't have. Dropbox costs $120 a year for a terabyte of storage, which is very
affordable.