Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
Date
List pgsql-general

Am 18.06.2017 um 03:03 schrieb Martin Mueller:
> This is a queestion from a Postgresql novice.
>
> I use Postgresql in a single-user environment on a Mac with OS Sierra.
> I use AquaFold DataStudio as a client, which is nice but also keeps me
> woefully ignorant about many aspects of the underlying application.
>
> As I understand it, Postgres data are stored in my homedirectory
> /users/martin/Library ApplicationSupport/Postgres/var9.5/base/.  I
> have read things on the Web about  backing up data to Dropbox (I have
> 80GB of data) .  But that means that my data sit first in the base
> directory, then in the Dropbox directory from which they are backed up
> to the Dropbox cloud.  So my 80 GB of data take up 160GB on my
> machine. Is there a way of installing the base directory directly in
> the Dropbox directory so that the data are stored only once on my machine?

You can store Backups there (dumps), but i would strongly  advise
against to store the db there. PostgreSQL relys on the fsync, that's not
possible in this case. I'm sure, a total data disaster would not be a
question, only when it would happen.

Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud?

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com