Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> wrote:
> If
> some parts of PostgreSQL are not performance bottlenecks, and they are
> extremely complicated to write in C, and very easy to write in something
> else common and simple (I've never used LUA myself?), I imagine it would be
> acceptable to the community.

As long as they can expose their interfaces using the standard PG
function call interface, and use the documented SPI mechanism to talk
to the rest of the back end.  Stuff that hooks into undocumented or
unstable parts of the code would be much less viable.

-Doug