Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Mielke
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris Browne wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:87hc82mrna.fsf@dba2.int.libertyrms.com" type="cite"><pre wrap=""><a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"href="mailto:jonah.harris@gmail.com">jonah.harris@gmail.com</a> ("Jonah H. Harris")

amalgamation of C, C++, and Pascal), I completely agree.  The entire
Note that this actually *isn't* possible; PostgreSQL is implemented in
a number of languages already:a) C, obviouslyb) m4 and some autoconf macrologyc) GNU maked) There's some awke) Shell
scriptf)Flexg) Bison

threadis pointless" - but  not being very pointed, I'd point out that the various integrations with PL/Perl, PL/Python,
PL/Tcl,and PL/PgSQL means that PostgreSQL is both intimate about the bindings between C and the language, and knowledge
hassplit. The first question was whether PostgreSQL should be re-written in C++ or something else, where the answer
seemsto be almost a universal "no". The second question is whether PostgreSQL can be extended with pluggable languages,
forwhich I think the answer is already a yes. If some parts of PostgreSQL are not performance bottlenecks, and they are
extremelycomplicated to write in C, and very easy to write in something else common and simple (I've never used LUA
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

Mark Mielke <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mark@mielke.cc"><mark@mielke.cc></a>
</pre>