Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
Re: PostgreSQL future ideas  (Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc>)
List pgsql-hackers
jonah.harris@gmail.com ("Jonah H. Harris") writes:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> Speaking of language choice, no one said that _all_ the source code would
>>> need to be rewritten. It would be nice, for example, if PostgreSQL rewrote
>>> the current GUC system with a glue language like Lua (which is also very
>>> C-like).
>>
>> No it wouldn't. All it would mean is that you'd need developers fluent in
>> both languages.
>
> Having done quite a bit of internals work with SAP DB (which is an
> amalgamation of C, C++, and Pascal), I completely agree.  The entire
> system, if possible, should be in a single language.

Note that this actually *isn't* possible; PostgreSQL is implemented in
a number of languages already:a) C, obviouslyb) m4 and some autoconf macrologyc) GNU maked) There's some awke) Shell
scriptf)Flexg) Bison

And I'm not sure that's all there is :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lisp.html