Re: alter table is taking a long time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From stanciutheone@gmail.com
Subject Re: alter table is taking a long time
Date
List pgsql-general
is just a varchar field that i want to make it bigge ,right now the
alter table is working for over 6 hours

On 7 nov., 08:41, michael.har...@ericsson.com ("Michael Harris")
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had to do something similar: change one column from INT to BIGINT in a table which has inherited to a
depthof 3 and where some of the child tables had millions of records.

> All affected tables have to be rewritten for such a command. One consequence of this is that you (temporarily) need
upto twice the amount of disk space that the tables are currently occupying. Another is that it takes a long time - for
meI ran it overnight and it took at least 6 hours. Of course it depends on your hardware.

> I could not find any way to check on the progress of this query .. maybe someone else can help with that.
>
> I would not recommend restarting postgres. Can't you just cancel the query (control-C on psql if that is how you sent
thecommand) or failing that send the postgresql backend process a SIGINT (not the master backend of course, the
postgresbackend that is executing the ALTER command)? It should roll back to the state as before the command was
entered.