Re: Removing binaries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Removing binaries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/21/17 08:12, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think a big part of the usability problem here comes from the fact
> that the default database for connections is based on the username,
> but the default databases that get created have fixed names (postgres,
> template1).  So the default configuration is one where you can't
> connect.  Why the heck do we do it that way?

Historical, probably.  We could ponder changing the way the default
database is determined, but I don't want to imagine the breakage coming
out of that.

Some time ago I changed my environment to PGDATABASE=postgres by
default, and my experience has been much smoother.  Of course, if we did
that, then people will store a bunch of junk in their postgres database.But maybe that's not a problem.  Maybe just
toleratethe use of the

postgres database by default, like using the public schema.