Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/7/22 12:42 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:

>> On Apr 7, 2022, at 9:37 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I'm atypical, but I'm probably going to use tab completion
>> either way, so it's not really more keystrokes.
>
> Same here, because after tab-completing \dcon\t\t into \dconfig, I'm likely to also tab-complete to get the list of
parameters. I frequently can't recall the exact spelling of them.

This seems like the only "\d" command that would require tab completion,
given all the others are far less descriptive (\dt, \dv, etc.) And at
least from my user perspective, if I ever need anything other than \dt,
I typically have to go to \? to look it up.

I'm generally in favor of consistency, though in case skewing towards
what we expose to the user. If "\dconfig" gives a bit more across the
board, I'm OK with that. "\dparam" could be a bit confusing to end users
("parameter for what?") so I'm -1 on that.

Jonathan

Attachment