Re: xml import/export tools and performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Modra
Subject Re: xml import/export tools and performance
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/11/6 Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it>:
> I need to import/export through xml files.
>
> I was looking for tools/examples/HOWTO for postgresql.
>
> Right now I still don't know the details of the requirements.
>
> I know I won't need a GUI.
>
> I know one of the exporting parties will be a MS SQL 2005 server, so
> it would be nice if there was an easy way to import xml generated
> with the FOR XML AUTO, XMLSCHEMA ('forpg').
>
> I'd like to have a tool that can write XSD from queries
> automatically.
>
> I may need to strictly specify one of the xml output format since
> one of the importing parties pretend to support xml with something
> that is more like a tagged csv.
>
> Currently I'm mostly looking around to see where it would be
> convenient to move the boundaries of the problem.
>
> I'd be curious about what kind of performance impact they may have
> compared to COPY.
>
> thanks

I don't know of any such tools, but they may exist, if not:

Tell me the XML format you want in/out of postgres, and I can write a
tool for you. I had a quick look just now to see what the MS Access
format is, and its typically difficult to wade through the moutains of
useless information that people have posted on teh web about Microsoft
products, so i lost interest. However, if you can point me in the
right direction, so I can see the DTD or examples, or both... then I
can tell you how easy/difficult it would be to write a converter.