Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 12/13/21 11:47, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 12/13/21 03:08, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Also,
>> the default values of LZ4, TAR and GZIP_PROGRAM had better be set
>> *before* loading buildenv.pl, and not after it is loaded, no?  On
>> HEAD, one has no way to unset any of those variables so it is not
>> possible to skip things if an environment has in its PATH a funky
>> command that TAP would refuse, like a tar command from MinGW or the
>> git installation.
>
> No. The code only sets them if they have not been previously set by
> buildenv.pl or the calling environment. That's what "||=" means.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood what you meant here. Yes, you might
have a funky tar in your path. But then so you might with a Makefile
build, no? I'm not sure why MSVC builds should be different.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan