Re: Why is it "JSQuery"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Why is it "JSQuery"?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 6, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> * [JAQL](https://code.google.com/p/jaql/): Too different from SQL
>> * [JSONPath](http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/): Too verbose
>
> I don't agree with the too verbose, but lacking AND|OR is pretty crippling.

I had enough people complain about Test::XPath, which tests the structure of XML and HTML documents using XPath. They
didn'tlike how verbose XPath was, preferring CSS selectors. So I ended up with a patch to support CSS syntax, too.
CSS-stylesyntax is part of what people like about JQuery, too.

> Well, I'd also say that we don't care about syntaxes which are not
> already popular.  There's no point in being compatible with something
> nobody uses.  How many of the above have any uptake?

I think there is JQuery, JSONPath, and everything else, really. If we can draw some parallels, I think that would be
sufficientto make people comfortable.

[JSQuery](https://code.google.com/p/gwtquery/wiki/JsQuery)is already a thing.

> I saw that too, but I don't get the impression that Google jsquery is
> all that active.   No?

It’s Google. You really want to wrangle with their attorneys?

David