Re: TSearch2 vs. Apache Lucene - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Russell Garrett
Subject Re: TSearch2 vs. Apache Lucene
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 6 Dec 2005, at 16:47, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Has anyone ever compared TSearch2 to Lucene, as far as performance
> is concerned?

In our experience (small often-updated documents) Lucene leaves
tsearch2 in the dust. This probably has a lot to do with our usage
pattern though. For our usage it's very beneficial to have the index
on a separate machine to the data, however in many cases this won't
make sense. Lucene is also a lot easier to "cluster" than Postgres
(it's simply a matter of NFS-mounting the index).

Russ Garrett
russ@last.fm