Re: Postgres older version 8.3.7 on ubuntu 14 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: Postgres older version 8.3.7 on ubuntu 14
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/23/18 13:15, Steve Crawford wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM Vaidyanathaswamy, Anandsaikrishnan <
> avaidyanathaswamy@corelogic.com> wrote:

>> We are not able proceed with the installation manually. I am wondering
>> whether ubuntu 14 is compatible with version 8.3.7
> First, I would *strongly* suggest upgrading to a newer version for
> security, performance and support.
>
> But if you insist on compiling, the answer is in your output - it isn't
> finding a compiler. Be sure to install gcc or other compiler.

It would certainly be interesting to know why such an old version is
needed. Also, even if it has to be 8.3 for some reason, does it have to be
8.3.7 and not the last maintenance release 8.3.23 ?

I have found that to build 8.3 or 8.2 using modern gcc, it is necessary
to add a C flag -fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations

as in

   $ CFLAGS=-fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations  ./configure

But of course, that comes after the first problem, installing a C compiler
in the first place. :)

Alternatively, you can build from the git commit exactly one later than
the one tagged REL8_3_23. That commit just adds the extra C flag.

-Chap