Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: configure's checks for --enable-tap-tests are insufficient
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/19/18 22:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Yes, looks like tests are necessary. I'd argue it's "test for broken Perl"
>> but apparently Fedora think they should split the Perl core dist into tiny
>> pieces.
>
> FWIW, the package boundaries are the same on RHEL6, and probably long
> before that.  It's possible that Red Hat have trimmed back which packages
> they consider part of a basic Perl installation.

Ehh, I'm with Craig. The *perl project* identifies which packages (and
versions) are part of perl core in each perl version ... not Red Hat.

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BINGOS/Module-CoreList-5.20180220/lib/Module/CoreList.pm

Red Hat's practice seems super reckless given that there's an actual
module (itself part of core since 5.8.9) that lets you check what
modules you can safely assume are there. I'm sure I'm not the only one
to have written code relying on it....

-Chap