Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Zenz
Subject Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions
Date
Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions  ("Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at>)
Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 30.01.2018 03:07, David G. Johnston wrote:
 > ​So, my first pass at this.

Nice, thank you.

 > + These are of particular use for client software to use when executing
 > + user-supplied SQL statements and want to provide try/catch behavior
 > + where failures are ignored.

Personally, I'd reword this to something like this:

 > These are of particular use for client software which is executing
 > user-supplied SQL statements and wants to provide try/catch behavior
 > with the ability to continue to use the transaction after a failure.

Or maybe something like this:

 > These are of particular use for client software which requires
 > fine-grained support over failure behavior within a transaction.
 > They allow to provide a try/catch behavior with the ability
 > to continue to use a transaction after a failure.

Also I'd like to see something like this in the docs at roughly the same position:

 > If a failure occurs during a transaction, the transaction enters
 > an aborted state. An aborted or failed transaction cannot be used
 > anymore to issue more commands, ROLLBACK or ROLLBACK TO must be used
 > to regain control of the aborted transaction. A commit issued while
 > the transaction is aborted is automatically converted into a
 > <xref linkend="sql-rollback"/>.

I'm not sure about the terminology here, though, because the Transaction
Tutorial (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/tutorial-transactions.html)
speaks of "aborted" transactions, while you use the term "failed" here.