Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Petrilli
Subject Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak
Date
Re: PostgreSQL giving jitters to Skypak  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:11:13 -0300 (ADT), Marc G. Fournier
<scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Jussi.Mikkola@bonware.com wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > I think it would be a good idea to check how they are using indexes, and what
> > the structure of the database is. Missing an index or two can affect quite
> > much.
>
> As I'm experiencing with a client right now ... schema hurts alot too ...
> all of their queries are bigint = int, so they are having to go through
> their code and changing it to bigint = int::bigint so that indices are
> being used properly ...

I've always wondered... is there some reason we don't do "type
promotion" to match indices? So if someone provides an int, and a
bigint index exists, it should be used automatically, as they're
interchangable (i.e. int is a subset of bigint).

Chris