Re: Upgrade Process Says "The database server was not shut downcleanly" but it was - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrade Process Says "The database server was not shut downcleanly" but it was
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/3/20 3:33 PM, TalGloz wrote:
> Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
>> On 5/3/20 3:11 PM, TalGloz wrote:
>>> Adrian Klaver-4 wrote

>>> This is weird because "systemctl staus postgresql-12.service" shows that
>>> the
>>> service is dead.
>>
>> It is now:
>> "The database server was not shut down cleanly."
>>
>> Before running pg_upgrade again I would:\
>>
>> 1) Start the 12 instance to make sure it will start cleanly.
>>
>> 2) Shut it and the 10 instance down.
>>
>> 3) Try the pg_upgrade again this time with:
>>
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html
>>
>> --check
>>
>>       check clusters only, don't change any data
>>
>> 4) Assuming 3) completes, repeat w/o --check
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> TalGloz
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html
>>>

>> --
>> Adrian Klaver
>
>> adrian.klaver@
>

> Thanks I'll try your steps tommorow. What I meant to say is that "systemctl
> staus postgresql-12.service" was always showing that the service is dead,
> even before I've started the upgrade process.

Hmm, then maybe the unclean shutdown was from a previous use. At at any
rate you passed this point in the process:

"If pg_upgrade fails after this point, you must re-initdb the
new cluster before continuing."

You are going to need to start with a fresh cluster anyway.

adrian.klaver@aklaver.com