Postgres SQL 8.4 regularly craches - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hungerbühler Philipp (hune)
Subject Postgres SQL 8.4 regularly craches
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello all

We have a postgres server on Windows 2008 R2 used by tree services. This worked quite for a long time (several years) but lately the Postgres service regularly crashes

2013-12-11 14:03:10 CET LOG:  Serverprozess (PID 3576) wurde durch Ausnahme 0xC0000043 beendet (sorry German)

I researched and found that this exception is related to:

0xC0000043
STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION

A file cannot be opened because the share access flags are incompatible.

I also found a Microsoft fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2707576/en-us) related to this error, but the fix does not apply to our system. I defragmented the drive were the Postgres data resides. But still the service crashes all several days.

Any idea how I could fix this or how I could find out, why the service is crashing? It does not seem to be related to the application using the Postgres DBs, because there seem to be no requests to Postgres exactly at the time it crashes.

Any help would be appreciated. For the moment an upgrade to Postgres 9 is not possibly, because the applications using Postgres DBs are quite vital.

Regards

Philipp

ZHAW Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften

ICT, Server & Systeme

Philipp Hungerbühler

Gertrudstrasse 15

CH-8401 Winterthur