Re: Configurable path to look up dynamic libraries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Configurable path to look up dynamic libraries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> About to be implemented, for your approval...
> Variable name: dynamic_library_path
> Permissions: superuser
> Default value: empty string

This is of little value unless the default is intelligently chosen.
The default should be "$PGLIB", IMHO (inserted from configure's data).
Unless there is a usable default, we cannot start recommending that
people not use absolute paths in CREATE FUNCTION commands.

I do not believe that it's a good idea to allow the value to be changed
at runtime, either --- do you expect that backends will remove
already-loaded libraries in response to a change in the variable?
I think setting the path at postmaster start is necessary and sufficient.

Also, it'd be really nice if a platform-dependent suffix (.so, .sl,
etc) were automatically added to the given library name, if one's not
present already.