Re: Re: Outstanding patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Re: Outstanding patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Oracle PL/SQL supports this, and PL/SQL code that I've seen uses it
> extensively.  PL/pgSQL supports %TYPE in all places a type may be
> used, except parameter and return types.
   It's  not  PL/pgSQL's  fault  here.  The  pg_proc entries are   created by the CREATE FUNCTION utility  command
that's used   for  all languages.  So what we're talking about affects SQL,   C, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, PL/Python and whatnot
too.PL/pgSQL might   live  with that very well, because it has some automatic type   conversion (using the actual
valuestypoutput and the  needed   types  typinput functions) to convert values on the fly.  But   a C function
receivinga different type all of a sudden is  a   good candidate to coredump the backend.

Jan