Re: gen_random_uuid() is immutable in Pg 13devel - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: gen_random_uuid() is immutable in Pg 13devel
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On 2020-Feb-18, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> Maybe this happened because the default volatility for pg_proc.dat
>> entries is not 'volatile' -- it's 'immutable'.

> That makes me wonder what should be the default --- and should there
> even *be* a default in the first place?  Maybe it's better to make
> everyone *think* about it every time rather than hoping we'll all
> remember, and frequently having it got wrong.

Yeah.  That default was chosen just to reduce the size of pg_proc.dat
(since a large majority of C functions are indeed immutable).  But
it might be too error-prone this way.  I remember worrying about that
when we put it in.

            regards, tom lane