Re: FATAL: no such database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FATAL: no such database
Date
List pgsql-novice
BeeRich Lists <bee.lists@gmail.com> writes:
> For some reason I cannot create a database.  I use Sequel, Postico, and psql, and all three won’t create a database.
Thefirst two write the syntax for me, and they too return errors.  Here is an example in psql:
> rich=# CREATE DATABASE alpha;
> CREATE DATABASE
> rich=# \c alpha;
> FATAL:  no such database: alpha
> Previous connection kept

Well, that's just odd.  Do you have any nondefault extensions loaded into
the database?  I notice that the normal message for a missing database
looks different:

alpha=# \c alpha2
FATAL:  database "alpha2" does not exist
Previous connection kept

and in fact the string "no such database" appears nowhere in the core
Postgres code.  So I'm not sure what's throwing that error, but I guess
it must be some add-on code.

BTW, the semicolon is superfluous, although I suspect that removing
it won't change anything.

            regards, tom lane