Re: Let's use libpq for everything - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Let's use libpq for everything
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
>> 5) In lobj.c, there are mentions of using lo_lseek64 and lo_tell64. I
>> am not sure that this is a good thing at this state: those functions
>> have been added in 9.3 and we still have many users with PG <= 9.2. It
>> may be better to add a note about updating to those functions when the
>> minimum support requirement is 9.3.

> Well, it's just a comment.

Not qualified to review this patch in total, but as far as that goes:
libpq provides an inexpensive way to check the server version, so you
could easily have a code path using the newer functions when available.
The big problem is that odbc_lo_lseek/odbc_lo_tell are declared as
taking/returning int4 not int8; unless you can widen those values without
breaking the library ABI, there is zero point in using the newer
server-side functions.

            regards, tom lane