Re: linux supportability - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: linux supportability
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 05/02/2016 09:45 AM, McMillan, Scott A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to psql-odbc.
>
> I maintain a Linux tool that uses ODBC (unixODBC) for database access.  I am considering redistributing a prebuilt
psqlODBCdriver with my tool to make it as easy as possible for my users to access Postgres databases.  However, I am
wonderingif this is wise or not?  (I am not thinking about redistributing Postgres itself; the user needs to install
andsetup their database backend.)

> How compatible is a binary psqlODBC shared library with different versions or installations of Postgres?
>
> Would it actually be more supportable to have users install the psqlODBC shared library from their Linux distribution
ifthey don't want to build from source?

I would suggest that they use the apt/yum repos from PGDG or from their OS.

JD

> What is the recommendation?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott