linux supportability - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From McMillan, Scott A
Subject linux supportability
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi,

I'm new to psql-odbc.

I maintain a Linux tool that uses ODBC (unixODBC) for database access.  I am considering redistributing a prebuilt
psqlODBCdriver with my tool to make it as easy as possible for my users to access Postgres databases.  However, I am
wonderingif this is wise or not?  (I am not thinking about redistributing Postgres itself; the user needs to install
andsetup their database backend.)

How compatible is a binary psqlODBC shared library with different versions or installations of Postgres?

Would it actually be more supportable to have users install the psqlODBC shared library from their Linux distribution
ifthey don't want to build from source?

What is the recommendation?

Thanks,
Scott