Re: 7.4's INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns View - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4's INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns View
Date
List pgsql-general
>>> The SQL spec doesn't allow unconstrained lengths for these types
>>> so it gives no guidance about what to display in the information_schema
>>> views.  Any opinions?
>>
>> If there isn't a set scale for the type, then NULL would probably make the
>> most sense.

After more thought I like returning NULL for both precision and scale in
the case of unconstrained numeric columns.  Any other value is
arbitrary.  In particular, the 1000 cited in the docs is *very*
arbitrary, and I don't think it actually constrains what you can store,
only what you can declare as a column precision.  [tries it...]  Yup,
I can store "power(10.0, 10000)" in an unconstrained numeric column.
It seems to fail around 10^140000 but I'm not sure where that limit
is coming from exactly...

            regards, tom lane