Re: Pglogical questions and problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Pglogical questions and problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/13/2016 06:05 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2016-04-13 09:38:39 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> If we want this in 9.7
>
> I desperately want logical replication for 9.7. And I'm planning to put
> in a good chunk of work to make that happen in some way.

I don't see a need for it to be in -core but I certainly see a need for
a solid replacement to something like Slony.

>> we'll need lots of people's support, design commentary and assistance
>> with bug fixing.
>
> I think realistically that requires interested parties to collaborate on
> one repository, otherwise the latencies are going to be too big. Us
> being in different timezones and part of separate companies with
> different schedules it's very hard to arrange having time to intensely
> work together on a project.

Absolutely. If people (who are not 2Q) are going to put energy into
this, it should be in an open, collaborative fashion just like any other
open source project.

The only reason I currently bothered with what I did is because I needed
to update a presentation. Had that not been the case, I wouldn't have
touched it because it (AFAICT) is not developed in the proper open
source way. That may or may not be intentional but I know it affects who
is willing to do things like test and provide feedback.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564