Re: Parser extensions (maybe for 10?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From José Luis Tallón
Subject Re: Parser extensions (maybe for 10?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 04/12/2016 06:45 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
On 12 April 2016 at 12:36, Arcadiy Ivanov <arcadiy@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any interest and/or tips to allow a pluggable parser or at least allow some syntactical pluggability by extensions?
I think this may allow some projects to move towards becoming an extension as opposed to forking the project entirely.

FWIW, I have previously sketched a "syntax rewriter" of sorts: a simple filter which is applied to input before the lexer even sees it.
Quite some "syntax magic" can be achieved by allowing an extension to *hook* into this functionality in order to do some rewriting; If turning one statement into several (multi-statement) is also allowed quite some serious emulation could be achieved.

I can certainly prepare a small patch for the first commitfest of 9.7 if this sounds viable.

Thanks,

    / J.L.