Re: 7.1 vs. 7.2 on AIX 5L - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.1 vs. 7.2 on AIX 5L
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> The problem is, that the default on AIX is to produce architecture
> independent code (arch=COM). Unfortunately not all AIX architectures
> seem to have these instructions.

AIX does more than one architecture?  Hmm, s_lock.h doesn't know that...

> With arch=ppc it works (two lines
> adjusted .globl .tas and .tas:).  My worry is, that the Architecture
> book sais that the isync is necessary on SMP.  I wonder why that would
> not also apply to LinuxPPC or Apple.

I doubt we've had anyone test on SMP PPC machines, other than Tatsuo's
tests on AIX.  Worse, I'd imagine that any failures from a missing sync
instruction would be rare and tough to reproduce.  So there may indeed
be a lurking problem here.