Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Torsten Zühlsdorff
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On 07.03.2016 10:06, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> * Only 24 open source projects are listed as interoperable.
>> Open Source Projects Using PostgreSQL
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/OpenSource_Projects_Using_PostgreSQL
>
> It's pity that some very popular OSS projects do not care about
> PostgreSQL. WordPress is one of such OSS projects. Long time ago
> someone came up with "PostgreSQL plugin" but it didn't catch up
> WordPress releases and now cannot be used with the latest version of
> WordPress. In my understanding WordPress fixes security issues only
> with the latest version; as a result, we cannot use safe version of
> WordPress if we want to use PostgreSQL for its database engine.

But it is possible to add PostgreSQL support to many OSS projects, even
if the are written just for MySQL. I did some work in greater projects
to add an layer which adds support for SQLite. Most differences can be
resolved dynamically.

Also as a maintainer of FreeBSD there is another point i often notice:
the user/maintainer is unaware of support of PostgreSQL. I've added a
(optional) flag for PostgreSQL support to many software, so the user is
able to used it.

PostgreSQL is gaining attention, but that are some massive stoppers. I
did start multiple times a project to translate the very fine manual
into german, because many german developer just have problems with
english. This is true for other languages too, so currently i'm trying
to implement a translation plattform and not a translation itself.

Another stopper is lack of comparison. Users want to make sure that
everything works still fine on PostgreSQL and want to see what cool
features they will gain on top. Or which problems they could solve.
There was a website which compares MS SQL VS PostgreSQL and this was a
great help for me.

Greetings,
Torsten