Re: Strange Problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tim Sailer
Subject Re: Strange Problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 02/11/2016 09:53 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
>> There are 2 possibilities I can think of:
>> 1) The application which inserts the rows still has the transaction
>> open that inserted all the rows, and hasn't yet committed.
>> 2) A transaction is open, but another transaction has since deleted
>> all the rows and committed, and the open transaction still has
>> visibility of the rows, so they can't be cleaned up by a vacuum
>> process.
> "VACUUM VERBOSE <table>" would likely be informative.  I don't think
> it will distinguish which of those things has happened, but it would
> confirm the idea that there are a bunch of not-visible-to-you rows.
>
> It might be a good idea to check for old prepared transactions, as
> well as old idle-in-transaction sessions.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ugh. I saw a slew of "suspending truncate due to conflicting lock
request" scroll up the screen, along with lines like "truncated 4928 to
1376 pages" all the say down to "truncated 1376 to 0 pages".

I'm guessing that my table is now empty for some reason. Sigh.

Tim