Re: Postgres Ubuntu Default Package vs Enterprise DB vs Compiled One - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgres Ubuntu Default Package vs Enterprise DB vs Compiled One
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/26/2015 08:16 AM, Sébastien Boutté wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For my project, to be able to easily manage postgres instance and
> version, i want to install it in user's directory and launch by user also.
>
> For my tests, I've got some issues with pg_restore on three differents
> installations.
>
> First One : Ubuntu 15.10 Default Package
> Second One : Enterprise Db installer with installation and data files
> stored in user's home.
> Third One : Compiled Version Postgres with executable and data files
> stored in user's home.
>
> All versions are 9.4.5.
>
> My Backup is : 414 MB (Directory Archive)
>
> Postgresql.conf modifications for all cases:
> shared_buffers = 512MB
> work_mem = 128MB# min 64kB
> maintenance_work_mem = 512MB# min 1MB
> fsync = off# turns forced synchronization on or off
> synchronous_commit = off# synchronization level;
> full_page_writes = off# recover from partial page writes
> wal_buffers = 1024
> checkpoint_segments = 64# in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
> checkpoint_timeout = 5min# range 30s-1h
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9# checkpoint target duration, 0.0 - 1.0
> checkpoint_warning = 30s# 0 disables
>
> Same Command for restore : pg_restore -d xxxx -j 4 -F d -U yyy -W backup
>
> First One : Restore Time 1min53
> Second One : Restore Time 3min48
> Third One : Restore Time 2min51
>
> I check files, encoding but i have not found any misconfiguration
> parameters.
>
> What do i have to do to have the same performance in the first and the
> third ?

Honestly, not enough information to make a determination. So:

1) Is the order you show above the actual order you did the restores?

2) Are the above timings from one run for each setup or multiple runs?

3) Just to be clear, this is all on the same machine, correct?

> Is a problem with :
> User Space / Kernel Space ?
> Compilations options ?
> LD Library ?
> Missing something ?

To see how each installation is set up you can:

1) Run the pg_config for each installation, so for instance, on a
compiled version on my machine:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

2) Run each installations pg_controldata against the installation data
directory:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_controldata /usr/local/pgsql/data/

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com