Re: Errors during recovery of a postgres. Need some help understanding them... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dhaval Shah
Subject Re: Errors during recovery of a postgres. Need some help understanding them...
Date
List pgsql-general
I am still learning the ropes, I guess. I am not able to understand
the following:

> The attempt to back up to the
> last checkpoint isn't going to happen if you keep it from crashing at
> the REDO DONE point.

Does the above statement mean that I am crashing my primary server at
the REDO DONE point and if that is the case, how do I avoid crashing
at the REDO DONE? Or is this something to be done at the standby?

Regards
Dhaval

> "Dhaval Shah" <dhaval.shah.m@gmail.com> writes:
> > The question I have is, how far does it look behind in time?
>
> I think you only need to hang onto the immediately preceding file;
> it only backs up to the last applied WAL record, and that's certainly
> not going to span multiple segment files.  The attempt to back up to the
> last checkpoint isn't going to happen if you keep it from crashing at
> the REDO DONE point.

Dhaval Shah