Re: Unable to start postgres in recovery mode. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dhaval Shah
Subject Re: Unable to start postgres in recovery mode.
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the email. It helped and after going through the email and
the doc, I realized that the "backup" file had the wrong information,
or rather I had the wrong backup files. That will do the kind of
errors I have seen.

However, I do have one question, I am setting this up as part of the
HA process. The standby is a "hot" standby. Now, if the primary fails
how do I tell the secondary that come out of recovery mode and move
the recovery.conf to recovery.done and start the db. I mean, what
error code shall I return?

If I return a non-numeric error code, I get the following result [from
serverlog]:

====
00000001000000000000001B pg_xlog/RECOVERYXLOG
LOG:  restored log file "00000001000000000000001B" from archive
00000001000000000000001C pg_xlog/RECOVERYXLOG
[Main: Triggering Recovery!!!] <---- My script detected that it needs
to trigger recovery...
LOG:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000001000000000000001C" (log file
0, segment 28): No such file or directory
LOG:  redo done at 0/1B000070
00000001000000000000001B pg_xlog/RECOVERYXLOG
Main: Triggering Recovery!!! <--- My script is called again and the
script says trigger recovery
PANIC:  could not open file "pg_xlog/00000001000000000000001B" (log
file 0, segment 27): No such file or directory
LOG:  startup process (PID 32167) was terminated by signal 6
LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
====

This is what my script is doing:

if ( triggerRecovery() ) {
    print "Main: Triggering Recovery!!! \n";
    return 1;
}

So, the question is, on detecting that the primary is down and to
trigger recovery, what error code shall I return? Or do I have to move
the recovery.conf to recovery.done myself and restart the db?

Regards
Dhaval

> "Dhaval Shah" <dhaval.shah.m@gmail.com> writes:
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Lying to the server.  If you don't have the requested file, return
> failure, don't invent something.  There are a number of cases where
> the recovery process asks for files that are quite likely not to exist.
>
> > If I indicate that I do not have the concerned file by returning error
> > code 1, I get the following error in the log:
>
> This may indicate that you have an incomplete backup :-(.  It's hard to
> tell from this much info though.  What is in pg_control (use
> pg_controldata to dump) and what is in the backup_label file (that's
> plain text)?  What WAL segment files do you actually have?

Dhaval Shah