Re: query option in COPY postgres - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: query option in COPY postgres
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 11/06/2015 12:22 PM, masyaf wrote:
> According to COPY documentation , I can use query option when exporting data.
> Can I use query VALUES when loading data into tables from txt file? If I
> have 2 columns and I want to insert record manually in the first
> column(SentenceID) and insert data in the second column(Sentence) from text
> file. Is it something like:
>
> copy foo1(Sentence) | (VALUES (2339)) from '/path/to/sentence.txt' with
> delimiter '*';

In addition to what David posted, in Postgres 9.3+ you have option of
doing COPY FROM a program instead of a file. This opens the possibility
of using an external program to get your data into the form and order
you need and then have COPY pull from that.