Re: postgres 9.5 create function plpthon3u resets connections to server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: postgres 9.5 create function plpthon3u resets connections to server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2016 11:18 AM, Peter Crosbie wrote:
> this is a repost of a message I mistakenly sent to pgslq-novice,
> although it is probably a simple question
>
> I believe my issue may be that I don't have the correct python
> interpreter on the server's path. I couldn't find
> the required version in the documents and determined what I thought was
> required by using dependency walker
> on the plpython3.dll in postgres lib/.
>
> A pointer to more detailed doc or example would be great. Thanks.
>
> Anyway, here is my issue:
>
> postgresql 9.5 on windows 10, x64.

Where did you get Postgres from and how did you install it?

> I have created the extension plpython3u with python 3.3.5 on the
> server's path and it appeared to create the extension successfully:

Can you show how you created the extension?

> |SELECT * FROM pg_available_extensions WHERE name like '%python%' order
> by name; name | default_version | installed_version | comment
> -------------------+-----------------+-------------------+------------------------------------------
> - hstore_plpython2u | 1.0 | | transform between hstore and plpython2u
> hstore_plpython3u | 1.0 | | transform between hstore and plpython3u
> hstore_plpythonu | 1.0 | | transform between hstore and plpythonu
> ltree_plpython2u | 1.0 | | transform between ltree and plpython2u
> ltree_plpython3u | 1.0 | | transform between ltree and plpython3u
> ltree_plpythonu | 1.0 | | transform between ltree and plpythonu
> plpython2u | 1.0 | | PL/Python2U untrusted procedural language
> plpython3u | 1.0 | 1.0 | PL/Python3U untrusted procedural language
> plpythonu | 1.0 | | PL/PythonU untrusted procedural language (9 rows) |
>
> However when I attempt to create the following function (from the pg
> docs <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/plpython-funcs.html>)
>
> |CREATE FUNCTION pymax (a integer, b integer) RETURNS integer AS $$ if a
>> b: return a return b $$ LANGUAGE plpython3u; |
>
> the psql (or pgadmin3) terminal's connection is reset.
>
> The python 3.3 on the path is anaconda's distb and runs fine on its own.
> I couldn't find the required version of python in the postgresql docs

The required version will be what ever plpythonu was built against when
the binary was built. At a guess and given what you are seeing that is
not the version in the Anaconda distribution.

> and used dependency walker as described here Postgres database crash
> when installing plpython
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12010344/postgres-database-crash-when-installing-plpython?rq=1> to
> find the required dll that plpython3.dll in the server's lib/ requires.

What is the dependency walker output?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com