postgres 9.5 create function plpthon3u resets connections to server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Crosbie
Subject postgres 9.5 create function plpthon3u resets connections to server
Date
List pgsql-general

this is a repost of a message I mistakenly sent to pgslq-novice, although it is probably a simple questionI believe my issue may be that I don't have the correct python interpreter on the server's path. I couldn't find
the required version in the documents and determined what I thought was required by using dependency walker

on the plpython3.dll in postgres lib/.

A pointer to more detailed doc or example would be great. Thanks.

Anyway, here is my issue:

postgresql 9.5 on windows 10, x64.

I have created the extension plpython3u with python 3.3.5 on the server's path and it appeared to create the extension successfully:

SELECT * FROM pg_available_extensions
WHERE name like '%python%' order by name;

      name        | default_version | installed_version |                  comment

-------------------+-----------------+-------------------+------------------------------------------
-hstore_plpython2u | 1.0             |                   | transform between hstore and plpython2uhstore_plpython3u | 1.0             |                   | transform between hstore and plpython3uhstore_plpythonu  | 1.0             |                   | transform between hstore and plpythonultree_plpython2u  | 1.0             |                   | transform between ltree and plpython2ultree_plpython3u  | 1.0             |                   | transform between ltree and plpython3ultree_plpythonu   | 1.0             |                   | transform between ltree and plpythonuplpython2u        | 1.0             |                   | PL/Python2U untrusted procedural languageplpython3u        | 1.0             | 1.0               | PL/Python3U untrusted procedural languageplpythonu         | 1.0             |                   | PL/PythonU untrusted procedural language
(9 rows)

However when I attempt to create the following function (from the pg docs)

CREATE FUNCTION pymax (a integer, b integer) RETURNS integer
AS $$ if a > b:   return a return b
$$ LANGUAGE plpython3u;

the psql (or pgadmin3) terminal's connection is reset.

The python 3.3 on the path is anaconda's distb and runs fine on its own. I couldn't find the required version of python in the postgresql docs and used dependency walker as described here Postgres database crash when installing plpython to find the required dll that plpython3.dll in the server's lib/ requires.

Can anyone help me with what I have missed?

This question is also posted on stackoverflow here

Thanks in advance for your help.

Many thanks