Re: Building pgadmin on windows - instructions? - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Nikolai Zhubr
Subject Re: Building pgadmin on windows - instructions?
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi all,

after 2.5 days of fight I was able to produce a new shining pgadmin3,
even with an installer. What a relief.
It runs, and has that unfortunate bug still at the same place :)

Now going to investigate the bug itself as time permits.

As a side effect, I now have a detailed and valid instruction (saved for
myself) and I know what is definitely wrong in the Windows section of
INSTALL instruction. Maybe I'll come up with a patch to correct the
instruction.

01.10.2015 7:15, J.F. Oster wrote:
> MS Visual Studio Community 2013
> (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\)

I used Visual Studio 2010 professional this time. No additional packs or
platforms or SDKs or whatever. I'm also going to try with VS2013 later.

> Previously used Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express which was enough to
> build too but missed some files required to make an .msi package.

Building .msi appeared rather easy, if using some suitable version of
wix. For me 3.5 worked fine, 3.0 didn't.

> vcbuild is replaced with msbuild, which in my case was found here:
> C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\msbuild.exe
> I suspect it is installed with C# or .NET components of Visual Studio,
> so don't uncheck these when installing VS.

Thanks for the hint, I tried that approach, well kind of, but
subsequently gave up and switched to building all from Visual Studio GUI
instead. Thing is, msbuild is certainly incompatible with vcbuild (or
why would ms otherwise bother to replace one by another :))) so I
figured I'd better not waste too much time to just learn in all
practical details the history of variuos abandonware.

> I also had problems building wxMSW with build-mxmsw.bat, so built it
> manually one-by-one using projects in wxMSW-2.8.12\build\msw\ with all
> targets combinations (debug/release, unicode/...).

I think not all combinations are necessary; I only selected unicode and
release, that seemed to suffice. However I had to build wxwindows both
dynamic and static, otherwise not all of dependencies could apparently
be build successfully.

> Attaching my build scripts, hope that will help a bit.

Thanks, yes, they will probably help as soon as I try to arrange a fully
non-interactive rebuild, and I would really like to do it.

> It may be outdated now.

Indeed, the INSTALL is way outdated.

Thank you,
Nikolai