Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I accidently sent this directly to TGL so here we go:

Hello,

I am pretty sure RT can do what I am about to suggest but I know Redmine
can do it. Consider the following situation:

Robert Haas posts: Parallelized Joins patch    New issue is created (via email)    Patch is automatically attached to
issue
TGL reponds: Looks good but fix XYZ    Issue updated
Haas posts new patch    Issue updated    New patch, with date automatically appended to issue
Grittner responds: Tested this, looks good, committing    In body of email Grittner writes:        status: committed
Issueupdated    Status set to committed    Issue closed

Now, take the same thing and apply it to a bug. We even have the ability
to say who can assign something committed. For example, we could set it
so that only the email address of the git-hook can assign a ticket
committed. Other things we can do:

* Assign to specific releases
* Move issues to different trackers (not a bug, but a feature request)
* Assign issues to different committers/reviewers/users
* Relatively easy to make work as an issue/bug/commit/discussion tracker
* Easy to move patches/feature requests/bugs between trackers/releases
* East to have different trackers for different releases
* Full role and rights customization
* Interfaces with GIT
* Built in WIKI
* Runs on PostgreSQL
* Has an API
* Already works with PostgreSQL community accounts
* Hugely active community that isn't centric
* Manageable via email (requirement for most hackers)

In short, although we are talking about an issue tracker this is
something that can be integrated into our existing workflow, habits of
the current hackers would have to adapt not completely change.

Joshua D. Drake

EDIT: Note that I am not trying to start an argument about a bunch of
different issues here. I am trying to illustrate how a properly managed
system could not only integrate into but enhance our current workflow.