Re: Counting lines correctly in psql help displays - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Counting lines correctly in psql help displays
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/5/15 3:50 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
>> But that said, here's a tricksy patch that triggers an assertion
>> failure if the expected_lines is wrong. I intended it to trigger in
>> the regression tests so it only checks if the pager is actually off.
>> It wouldn't be hard to make it always check though.
>
> Hmm ... that would put a premium on the linecount always being exactly
> right (for all callers, not just the help functions).  Not sure that
> I want to buy into that --- it would require more complexity in the
> callers than is there now, for sure.

But only in an assert-enabled build. Surely there's enough other
performance hits with asserts enabled that this wouldn't matter?

As for paging, ISTM the only people that would care are those with
enormous terminal sizes would care, and assuming their pager is less
simply adding -F to $LESS would get them their old behavior. So I think
it's safe to just force paging.