Re: proposal: condition blocks in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: proposal: condition blocks in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 06/28/2015 08:01 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> you can use PL/pgSQL - but there are some limits
>
> * maintenance large plpgsql functions
>
> * the plpgsql functions or anonymous functions create a transaction
> borders - what should not be wanted

But why is that a problem? Generally (sub)transactions are a good thing,
but if you want, you may create one huge function. If you want to
modularize this a bit, you may split that into multiple functions, but
that's an option, not a requirement.

> * I cannot to use psql variables simply in plpgsql code (plpgsql has
> not any macro language) - so some patterns are implemented in plpgsql
> less readable
>
> for example, if you can create a script that create some plpgsql
> function for specified PostgreSQL version, then using PLpgSQL for this
> purpose is suboptimal due less readability and maintainability

I don't really see how a block of PL/pgSQL code is less maintainable
than a similar block of code written in a pseudo-scripting language
specific to psql. Actually I'd expect exactly the opposite, as PL/pgSQL
has neat features like exception handling and such, which is completely
absent in psql, or proper variables, which is somehow mimicked by
session variables in psql.

If you really need to do the scripting outsite PL/pgSQL, there's plenty
of suitable tools for that purpose IMHO. Starting with bash, or
languages like Perl or Python.

And I think the same about readability ...

--
Tomas Vondra                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/