Re: Replace l337sp34k in comments. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Replace l337sp34k in comments.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/1/21 5:10 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-07-31 12:15:34 +0300, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 11:22 AM Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>>> FWIW, my 2 cents.
>>> I do not see much difference between up2date, up-to-date, up to date, current, recent, actual, last, newest,
correct,fresh etc.

>> +1.
>> To me it seems normal to debate wording/terminology with new code
>> comments, but that's about it. I find this zeal to change old code
>> comments misguided. It's okay if they're clearly wrong or have typos.
>> Anything else is just hypercorrection. And in any case there is a very
>> real chance of making the overall situation worse rather than better.
>> Probably in some subtle but important way.
> Same here. I find them quite distracting, even.
>
> It's one thing for such patches to target blindly obvious typos etc, but
> they often also end up including less clear cut changes, which cost a
> fair bit of time to review/judge.

I agree. Errors, ambiguities and typos should be fixed, but purely
stylistic changes should not be made. In any case, I don't think we need
to hold the code comments to the same standard as the docs. I think a
little more informality is acceptable in code comments.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan