Re: BUG #12992: Failure to start: too many private dirs demanded - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: BUG #12992: Failure to start: too many private dirs demanded
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 04/07/15 20:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>   From what I see this looks like a simple permission issue, when the
>> postmaster can't access the data directory for some reason. Why exactly
>> that happened, I don't know - it might be a plain chmod, SELinux or
>> whatever.
>
> I'm suspicious that the submitter tried to "strace postmaster"
> without first becoming the postgres user

I don't think so - the lines at the very end say this:

write(2, "postmaster cannot access the ser"..., 121postmaster cannot
access the server configuration file

so it seems to suggest that (1) the strace attached to the process
succesfully, and (2) the 'postmaster' process can't read the config.

> and also didn't bother to examine the strace output very closely to
> see if it had anything to do with his original problem.

Perhaps. It's certainly difficult to analyze the strace log without any
further clues on what's wrong.