Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Peter, didn't you have a proposal on the table to fix this?

> Yeah, complain loudly to whoever dared to package a broken Tcl like
> that...  Or we'll work with Andreas Zeugwetter's patches and eliminate the
> use of tclConfig.sh mostly.

Yeah, I was taking a second look at Andreas' patch myself.  At the time,
the report was that we were only seeing a failure in RPM-packaged
Postgres and so I thought that the root problem was somewhere in our RPM
script.  However, I have now tried it for myself and can confirm that
we fail in a Postgres source build too.  The bogus soname switch might
be blamable on the Tcl RPM package and not on Tcl sources, but that
doesn't make a lot of difference to us either way.

I'm still quite nervous about making these changes so late in the cycle.
OTOH I suspect Andreas was right: we haven't been getting any pltcl
portability testing from our beta testers.  If it's broken now, we
can hardly make it worse.