RE: [SQL] Column name's length - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Pham, Thinh
Subject RE: [SQL] Column name's length
Date
List pgsql-sql
I did all of those and still it gave me that problem. What i did was
recompile the whole thing on a diff. machine/install/initdb/createdb...
still it didn't helf. Anyway, i might have to go modify the client program
instead. The only problem is this program is being used by many diff.
companies and if i modify it, and when they upgrade, they're going to have
to modify their database structure too. I just want to minimize the change
as much as possible w/o touching the frontend.

Thanks,
Thinh Pham

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 11:27 AM
To: Pham, Thinh
Cc: 'pgsql-sql@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [SQL] Column name's length

You will need to do an initdb --- you are making an incompatible change
in the format of the database.  pg_dump with old code, initdb and reload
with new.

Note that NAMEDATALEN is visible to client applications, which probably
means that libpq, psql, etc, will not interoperate across the two
different settings either.  We're talking rebuild from the ground up here.
        regards, tom lane